Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

My Morning Walk

On my morning walk I saw:
   a gila woodpecker sitting on a tall saguaro,
   a dozen doves sitting on a telephone wire,
   two western cotton-tail rabbits,
   a covey of quail,
   lots of lizards,
   a piece of red quartz, 
   a roadrunner running,
   and, oops,
   a quick moving king snake.


      This is a very simple list poem of things I saw on my morning walk.  There are three lines that use alliteration.  That is where words have the same beginning sound.  I've also repeated the "qu" sound three times in this poem.  Can you find those?  Repetition of sounds helps to put more music into your poems. 
      My friend Ellen Johnston-Hale taught me that, "It isn't about the rabbits; it's de-tails."  There are details in almost every line of this poem.  Do you notice how I could have just said birds, rabbits, a rock, a snake?  But the details included in each line make the line more interesting.
     Why do you think I wrote oops, in the penultimate (next to last) line? 
     Can you write your own list poem about things you saw on your way to school today?  Remember to include lots of details and try to include at least one alliteration.  Have fun writing and please share your creation.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Joy,
    When I started reading this, I thought about "and a partridge in a pear tree." I wondered what your poem would be like in that mode.

    Have fun! You are a magnificent person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joan,
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to try something like that.
    You too are magnificent. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy,

    I like the humor in the oops. I was wondering what one animal in the poem might say or do with another. Maybe "oops" could be what causes that combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops was when I almost stepped on the snake. Boy, did he surprise me.

    Good thing the snake scooted under a bush. The next morning I saw another snake and it was hardly moving, but thank goodness I saw it long before I stepped on it--that snake was a diamondback rattler.
    There is a lot of interesting wildlife around my house.

    ReplyDelete