Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Friday, August 31, 2012

The Lai

     Some days/nights you just feel brain dead.  I think part of the problem is that there are too many things I could write about today.  This often happens when I come to Poetry Friday, or I have a deadline.  I want to write something significant, something important to share and nothing seems good enough.  I know you've been there. 
     So today I'll just share a poem I wrote as part of the Monday Poetry Stretch over at Miss Rumpus Effect
     This week I learned about the Lai, a form poem. This is a French form with 9 lines--aab,aab,aab.  The a lines have 5 syllables.  The b lines have only 2.  So, since 6 of the lines need to rhyme, it means that base word family has to be big.  I'm thinking words like "an" --ran, fan, can, man, Dan, Nan, pan, tan.  Or maybe "ight"--light, bright, bite, might, plight, etc.  Anyway, for my poem I cheated a little and used feminine rhyme by using gerunds--"ing" words. (follow the links above for more information on The Lai Verse Form.)

This poem is in honor of the blue moon shining tonight. 


NIGHT DREAMS

While I am sleeping
a lizard leaping
AWAKES!
My eyes start blinking
what was I thinking
MISTAKES!
Then I am screaming
I wasn't dreaming
LAND SAKES!

     So, how did I do?  Did I meet the requirements of the form?
 
    If you try performing this poem with a class, the children can join in by saying the AWAKES, MISTAKES, LAND SAKES!

     Have a Happy Poetry Friday.  Thanks to Sylvia Vardell at Poetry for Children for hosting the round up this week.  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the new POETRY FRIDAY ANTHOLOGY.

Go Here for Ordering Information

6 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your lai, Joy :). Made me jump out of my seat a couple of times . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy,

    Sounds like you're overwhelmed, not brain dead. Either condition makes it hard to think. But then, like a ray of sunshine, you came through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joy! What a fun poem to try. I love the new forms Miss Rumphius comes up with in her challenges. I think yours is a great success!

    Also, want to thank you for the envelope that arrived this week, full of poetic surprises. Loved every piece -- the poem about stones, the stones themselves, the "Omen" poem (Congratulations!) and the colorful card. It was so worth the wait (and be sure I wasn't one bit impatient, in fact, it felt like a bit of a surprise.) Thanks again!

    Violet N.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun form to try! You did it well!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you hit the form, and now it's on my growing list of forms to try. Could be fun to try an extended Lai, maybe three of the 9-line stanzas together. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am impressed. Very nicely done indeed!

    ReplyDelete