Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Dear Friend,



Send me the song
of a cactus wren
trilling and hauntingly sweet.
By the tune
I will know
you are there, still
in the desert,
where wide skies unfurl
pink, purple, red;
where Saguaros rise
in benediction
and living is
a devotion.

    I've been busy today making Prickly Pear jelly.  I covered my arms with leather gauntlets and wore leather gloves, but still the spines went through my gloves and clothing.  That is the hardest part of making the jelly.  What is something hard or difficult for you to do?  Can you write a hard poem today?  (That was a little pun.)  Do have fun writing your own poem.

6 comments:

  1. Lovely poem. What does prickly pear jelly taste like? I recently made blueberry preserves and peach-mango amaretto preserves, but both of those were easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Tabatha, How do you describe a taste? Prickly Pear jelly is sweet with a little tart tang. When I do workshops and talk about the five senses, sight goes on my thumb, because an opposable thumb is a most useful thing and sight is the sense most often written about. Taste goes on my smallest finger, my pinkie because it is the sense least often written about. Then I ask the kids why. They usually answer because there isn't always food in the scene to write about and then it dawns on them that an apple tastes like an apple, and a banana tastes like a banana. If you've tasted the fruit, you understand, but if you've never had a banana it is hard to understand. So I'm not sure how to describe the taste.
      But peach-mango amaretto preserves sounds wonderful. Maybe we should trade.

      Delete
  2. Joy,
    I agree with Tabatha--this is lovely! What a great tribute to your friend, the cactus wren. Joy, I believe you make life a devotion, wherever you live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lovely poem! And the photo is great too. Thanks for starting my day with such beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rosi, I saw the Little League games on TV. I looked for you but all I saw was a bunch of talented young kids. WOW! The games were really something.

      Delete