Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

IT'S NOISY OUT THERE, FRED

Today I think
there's music 
in the air.
I sit to listen
and the sounds
are there.

The refrigerator hums.
The ceiling fan clicks.
The light makes a buzz,
and the old clock ticks.

So much music
bringing me cheer,
I just need it quiet
so I can hear.

     Close your eyes and listen for a moment.  What do you hear?  How are the sounds inside different from those outside? Does your school sound different from your home?  Is the school library filled with different music than the art room, the music room, the office?  Take you note pad and sit quietly  listening for five minutes.  Write down everything you hear.  Can you shape our notes into a poem.  You can do this exercise with friends to see who has the longest list in five minutes.  Can you turn each sound into a simile?  Have fun writing today.

3 comments:

  1. Such a cute poem. And so true. It is harder and harder to find a quiet moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rosi. Maybe someday you and I can sit and listen to the silence together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful poem - it captures the feeling so well!

    ReplyDelete