Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Monday, March 2, 2015

A Letter Poem

Dear C.P.A.,
I'm sending you these faxes.
I don't know what to say.
Please help me with my taxes.

Yours truly,
I. O. Plenty


   I wasn't happy with rhyming practice with taxes on Saturday's poem, as I played with the problem on my walk, this is what I came up with.

  The poem I worked on last night while I was sleeping had to do with fish swimming in the aquarium.

See my fish in the aquarium,
swimming like fish do?
Can you count them
one and two?

Oops, made a mistake,
there is Three
hiding in the shrubbery.

Oh no!  
There is more.
Can you see number Four?

Oh dear, there's Five and Six,
Seven and Eight.
They are swimming quickly.
They don't hesitate.

Oh my,
Nine and Ten,
here they go again,
a whole school of fish
swimming by
in my aquarium.

     Have you ever tried to count fish?  They move so quickly and if there are more than a few fish to count, you can easily loose your place and count some twice or not at all.  Now here is a tough question.  What was the last thing you counted?  Money into your bank, socks to be folded, silverware for the table?  Can you write a poem about something you might count today?  Have fun writing. 

1 comment:

  1. Joy,
    This counting poem reminded me of Uncle Scrooge/Scrooge McDuck counting his money! I can see you doing a cute book on counting fish, ones seen, ones that disappear, getting confused and counting seaweed by mistake, etc. Dream on it!

    Loved the humor in the IRS one!

    ReplyDelete