Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Sunday, March 1, 2015

THAT TIME OF YEAR

Mama scowls.
Daddy growls.
I do not like this practice.
I ask them what the matter is--
they're doing income taxes.


     Guess what I've been doing today?  Actually, writing this poem is a fun break.  But, I did have to do some research for this poem.  For the life of me I couldn't think of a word to rhyme with taxes.  If you have a better word to rhyme with taxes, please send it along to me.  I did learn a new word in my searching--hackmatack, which is a kind of elm tree, or a juniper.  It is an Algonquin word.  I came across another word that I have seen before, but it isn't in my vocabulary--gimcrack--something of little value, a geegaw.  You might say this is a gimcrack poem.  What do you think?
    Do you pay taxes?  What are taxes used for?  Can you try writing a poem today about taxes?  Have fun writing.

2 comments:

  1. Joy,
    Sorry no helpful rhyming word. My brain just can't stay focused when it hears the word "taxes." "Run for the hills" is what comes to mind instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Relaxes comes to mind. I love the poem. It sure made me smile. Thanks for the day brightener.

    ReplyDelete