Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Sunday, March 22, 2015

T.N.T=TRY NEW THINGS

I'm dynamite.
I'm T.N.T.
I try new things
to find out what
will work
for me.

    Today's poem started because I was dreaming about dancing and I needed a rhyme for ballerina.  I ended up looking in five different rhyming dictionaries to try to find the words to rhyme.  Alas, I couldn't find what I was looking for. I will have to try another end rhyme.  But as often happens as I'm working hard, searching for just the right word, my sense of the ridiculous takes over.  I laugh at myself spending so much time on words.  This is what I came up with.  I probably should let it hatch a lot longer in a drawer (or a lost file on my computer.)

The Ballerina

I fell for a dancer from Argentina
Who loved to dance at the marina.
She ate semolina,
And tons of farina.
She was a whale of a ballerina.

   Can you try writing something new today?  Have fun trying new things.  As mothers the world over are known for saying, how do you know if you'll like something unless you try it.

4 comments:

  1. Joy,
    Your ballerina poem is funny.

    Love T.N.T.= Try New Things! Clever lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we are trying new things, doesn't the energy just explode? That is why I LOVE poetry--there is always something new to try. There must be a gazillion forms I haven't written in yet.
      I'm glad you got the joke of the ballerina poem.

      Delete
  2. I love the last line of the ballerina poem. Made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jone.
      But what I started wanting was something elegant with long dancing lines--and when I couldn't find a graceful rhyme for ballerina, I ended up being silly. I'm glad you got the joke.

      Delete