Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Monday, March 9, 2015

DAYLIGHT MOON



Daylight moon
shining bright and round.
What has caused you 
to hang around?

In the sky
above the trees,
I wonder what
the moon sees.

     On this evening 36 years ago I was up late nursing my baby. I looked up at that night's full moon and suddenly it hit me, the moon I was looking at was the same one  Joan of Arc, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Martha Washington, or Sojourner Truth saw.  Can Grande Della Scala (a military leader in Verona), Amerigo Vespucci, Leland Staford, and Mickey Spillane, all of whom were born on this day, saw the same moon we'll be able to see tonight.  So, often when I look at the moon now, I wonder what it could tell us about all the things the moon has seen.  Perhaps you'll be inspired to write a poem about what the moon sees.

I see the moon.
The moon sees me.
I wonder what
he thinks of me.

4 comments:

  1. I love this poem, Joy. I have a Daylight Moon poem in a collection I'm working on. I like your idea of what the moon sees. Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosi. Funny how those crazy ideas sometimes just hit you. It is like thinking you and Christopher Columbus breathed the same air. Our world is pretty amazing. Isn't it fun to be living in our time?

      Delete
  2. Joy,
    Great topic! I hope you'll write poems about how you see the same moon historians saw. I know it could make a wonderful series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. Your life is a precious and amazing one. Thank you for reading my poems.

      Delete